CYCLING ON THE FOOTWAY

Any other 'PCSO issues' that do not fit in to the other forums. Recruitment of PCSOs, day to day PCSO duties, questions about law, joining the regular police, becoming a special, anything else remotely PCSO orientated!!

Moderator: national-PCSOs

bluecopper
Committee Member
Committee Member
Alignment: 'Thunder'

CYCLING ON THE FOOTWAY

Post by bluecopper » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:27 pm

I could probably have Googled this, but I wanted to get your opinions.

In my area, cyclists have taken to standing on one pedal of their bikes and freewheeling down the street. I have stopped a few and they say "but I'm not cycling", which of course technically they aren't. I feel that their bikes are under more control when ridden normally. So many people are doing this now. Is it that they are in control of their bikes or do they literally have to be sitting on it and pedalling?

Your views please!

Big Brother
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Examiner: XIII

Re: CYCLING ON THE FOOTWAY

Post by Big Brother » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:44 am

you need to look at your pnld and have a look at what the definitions are.
Big brother is watching you.

averagejoe90
Committee Member
Committee Member
Sacred: 'Dragoon'

Post by averagejoe90 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:52 pm

Interesting question, I would be interested to hear other people’s opinions.
AccountKiller

bluecopper
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by bluecopper » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:57 pm

I Googled it, and found out that it is still the offence of cylding, and also since 1994 the legislation even includes uni-cycles.

Anyone pushing a bicycle is a “foot-passenger” (Crank v Brooks [1980] RTR 441) and is not riding it or driving it (Selby). In his judgment in the Court of Appeal in Crank v Brooks, Waller LJ said: “In my judgment a person who is walking across a pedestrian crossing pushing a bicycle, having started on the pavement on one side on her feet and not on the bicycle, and going across pushing the bicycle with both feet on the ground so to speak is clearly a ‘foot passenger’. If for example she had been using it as a scooter by having one foot on the pedal and pushing herself along, she would not have been a ‘foot passenger’. But the fact that she had the bicycle in her hand and was walking does not create any difference from a case where she is walking without a bicycle in her hand.”

averagejoe90
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by averagejoe90 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:45 am

Interesting, nothing like a stated case to clear things up! :slsm:
AccountKiller

snakeywakey
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by snakeywakey » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:37 am

Normally I wouldn't do anything unless in a busy area or they were riding like a twonk. Or am I missing the point?

bluecopper
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by bluecopper » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:47 am

snakeywakey wrote:Normally I wouldn't do anything unless in a busy area or they were riding like a twonk. Or am I missing the point?
Same here, but so many people are standing on their pedals now, which really is more dangerous than cycling on a busy pedestrianised area. The bike is under less control than riding it properly.

But our biggest problem now with this type of nuisance is roller bladers and skateboarders. They go like a bat out of hell down the high street and they are usually too quick to stop. There are no bye-laws to stop them, but I always tell them to stop if I am able and to slow down!

Several people have been injured by cyclists over the last year or so, and as I tell them, if it was your gran getting knocked over and getting a broken leg, how would they like it?

Gualsa
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Gualsa » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:44 pm

We only have one pedestrianized street on my patch. The rest is pavements beside busy roads. I usually dont say anything to anyone riding sensibly as the roads are too dangerous for cycles. However, when young boys on BMX take it 30mph down the high street weaving in and out of people I will shout at them to get off.

Do you find that some elderly people are a speed menace on their mobility scooters? They go mega quick!

averagejoe90
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by averagejoe90 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:51 pm

:slwo:
Last edited by averagejoe90 on Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
AccountKiller

arthurgray50@blu
Official Member
Official Member

Post by arthurgray50@blu » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:46 pm

I read the article with great amusement, if you can say that. In my career as a PCSO with the Met, l have stopped and ticketed many 'cyclist' on the footpath and heard and seen all the good stories.
In this scenario l would warn the cyclist, then if they did it again l would issue a ticket. As far as l am concerned, iy are 'riding' a cycle using one foot on the pedal, you are cycling on the footpath.

Sad thing is now we are told to use discretion.

bluecopper
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by bluecopper » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:53 pm

I don't think using discretion is a sad thing, I think it's an essential part of doing your job. Usually is someone fails the attitude test they get a ticket. I haven't actually given out a cycling ticket for months. I use my discretion and more often than not they are under 16 anyway.

The general public just seem to think that they have a god given right to cycle on the pavement everywhere

snakeywakey
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by snakeywakey » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:12 am

Bear in mind the legislation that covers cycling on a footpath was made in 1835 and if I may presume some of the older members of this forum might corroborate that footpaths were in greater use because less people had cars which meant that a) footpaths were dangerous to cycle on and b) roads were safe to cycle on. Nower days there are loads of bike munching cars on the road so the occasional cyclage in my opinion (and I believe the public in generals opinion) is forgivable unless a particular cyclist becomes a problem. I can understand how it might infuriate the crap out of some people though.

multidropper
Official Member
Official Member
Class: 'Crimson Warrior'
Alignment: 'Lightning'
Sacred: 'Ranger'

Post by multidropper » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:54 pm

snakeywakey wrote:Bear in mind the legislation that covers cycling on a footpath was made in 1835 and if I may presume some of the older members of this forum might corroborate that footpaths were in greater use because less people had cars which meant that a) footpaths were dangerous to cycle on and b) roads were safe to cycle on. Nower days there are loads of bike munching cars on the road so the occasional cyclage in my opinion (and I believe the public in generals opinion) is forgivable unless a particular cyclist becomes a problem. I can understand how it might infuriate the crap out of some people though.

I will choose my words here, but...the roads are far too dangerous (mostly) these days for cyclists to use them? Has anyone seen the flowers that litter the sides of the roads? These memorials are becoming far too common and I see them growing in number each day. The roads are just not suitable these days for cyclists, especially kids. I have asked this before and I shall ask again, would any officer be willing to explain to parents that they instructed a child to use the roads, if the said child had been injured or worse?

Yes there are "laws" that say this type of "offence" is dangerous, and in certain circumstances it is. However to issue tickets is in my opinion is counter productive as you could end up losing the respect of the very people you need information from? Maybe a severe bollocking is better than playing the numbers game with respect to issuing tickets?

Always remember, the law regarding riding cycles on the footpath is years out of date...
Started at SYP as a PCSO in January 2004

Resigned in September 2006

Now working as a class 1 HGV driver.

Bert Moffat
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Bert Moffat » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:03 am

I was out cycling today on a 20-miler and I had two cars pull straight out in front of me as if I was invisible, got squeezed into the kerb twice so much that I had to get out of the way, then was overtaken by a car which then turned left across me that I had to immediately avoid which was being driven by CID.......

snakeywakey
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by snakeywakey » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:27 am

When I'm cycling and I hear cars that sound a bit close I make myself look bigger and wobble to try and draw their attention to me. Ive been to jobs where experienced cyclists have been knocked off whilst being lit up like a Christmas tree. Driver just wasn't paying attention. Not even busy on the roads. :-s

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic