CYCLING ON THE FOOTWAY

Any other 'PCSO issues' that do not fit in to the other forums. Recruitment of PCSOs, day to day PCSO duties, questions about law, joining the regular police, becoming a special, anything else remotely PCSO orientated!!

Moderator: national-PCSOs

ninjamonk
Committee Member
Committee Member

Re: CYCLING ON THE FOOTWAY

Post by ninjamonk » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:59 am

Bert Moffat wrote:I was out cycling today on a 20-miler and I had two cars pull straight out in front of me as if I was invisible, got squeezed into the kerb twice so much that I had to get out of the way, then was overtaken by a car which then turned left across me that I had to immediately avoid which was being driven by CID.......

Possible that you are not dominating the roads enough, when coming to a junction and turning left make sure that you do not give the vehicle behind you the opportunity to over take you, stay in the centre of the left lane. When i'm cycling at work i.m always about a meter away from the kerb and if a vehicle cant overtake than tough its obviously not safe to do so. Be confident on the road as soon as you start appeasing to other vehicles because you might feel that you are in the way you are putting yourself at risk.

Bert Moffat
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Bert Moffat » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:28 am

ninjamonk wrote:Possible that you are not dominating the roads enough, when coming to a junction and turning left make sure that you do not give the vehicle behind you the opportunity to over take you, stay in the centre of the left lane. When i'm cycling at work i.m always about a meter away from the kerb and if a vehicle cant overtake than tough its obviously not safe to do so. Be confident on the road as soon as you start appeasing to other vehicles because you might feel that you are in the way you are putting yourself at risk.
Thanks for the advice but I have been cycling for years and do dominate the road.

The first car that nearly hit me drove up to a give way line at a main junction, I'm on the carriageway travelling at about 16 mph a metre away from the kerb and as I approach the t-junction I make eye contact with the male driver who looks at me, but still pulls out in front of me but decides to stop with the front of his car more than a metre into my lane. I have to brake hard and swerve round him and he shouts at me as if it was my fault.

Second idiot sees me approaching a roundabout at about 20mph but fails to give way and just pulls straight into my path. More heavy braking and swearing (this time by me...)

Next one happens when I am travelling uphill, again about a metre from the kerb, when a car overtakes me and indicates to turn right leaving me room to safely continue until a female in a Mini decides that she is going to undertake the car turning right and force me into the kerb. I braked and moved over sharpish and felt obliged to punch the wing off her car before she hits me. Again sweary words from the driver as it was clearly my fault....

Fourth incident happens when I am approaching a big roundabout and the road widens a fair bit so I am now about a metre and a half away from the kerb when a bus overtakes me safely. The following car passes me so close that the wing mirror brushes my elbow so I have to get out of the way and brake but the guy cuts in on me even more as a result. Cue more swearing.

Finally, I am approaching another wide roundabout going straight on. My road position leaves plenty of room for vehicles turning left to do so safely but a female DC decides that she would rather overtake me and almost takes my front wheel off as she sweeps passed me and goes left.

Sunny day, white top, white bike and yellow helmet........

snakeywakey
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by snakeywakey » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:21 pm

Bert, all I can say is.... :-/
Maybe you should cycle on the footpath? Or wear a clown/chicken outfit?

Bert Moffat
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Bert Moffat » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:04 pm

Just did 32 miles out on country roads and no near misses!

Arthur ASCII
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Arthur ASCII » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:36 pm

Motorcyclists use the acronym SMIDSY to describe your experiences Bert...

Sorry
Mate
I
Didn't
See
You

Keep up the good work though. Aerobic fitness is important.
UNISON - Fighting your corner. Join us HERE
ImageImageImageImage

Bert Moffat
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Bert Moffat » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:43 pm

I am an advanced motorcyclist Arthur, so I ride my bike as if it out on a motorbike.

If I hadn't yesterday then I have no doubt that I would be typing this in a hospital bed - or worse.......

Arthur ASCII
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Arthur ASCII » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:31 pm

I sold my motorbike on my 50th birthday.

I'm now the proud owner of a Raleigh Foldaway bicycle (that's right, tiny wheels and it fits into a carrier bag).

I LOVE my bike and I'm old enough not to care about "street cred" when I'm riding...

UNISON - Fighting your corner. Join us HERE
ImageImageImageImage

JimmyRiddle
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by JimmyRiddle » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:42 pm

I'm seeing more and more intolerance towards cyclists at the moment.

There have been a number of occasions on duty in uniform where people have shouted out the window "single f**king file!" as my colleague & I were cycling side by side. I wouldn't do this around a busy stretch, narrow road, etc. but if you read the Highway Code this is permitted.

Funny how people know every traffic law. Wonder whether next time they get done for a RTA offence they think they should be let off said traffic law!
Power of arrest for PCSOs for 'as and when' - s24a PACE & common law (i.e. BoP) using s3 CLA 1967

I'm a PCSO, I will WATCH you get your head kicked in (as per force policy)

Bert Moffat
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Bert Moffat » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:54 pm

Jimmy, the Highway Code is not law though.

It just advises you not to ride more than two abreast.

JimmyRiddle
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by JimmyRiddle » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:45 am

But most of it is taken from legislation isn't it?

And the two-abreast bit is only advisory, so if I'm not causing a problem then I can't see that as unlawful?

On a side note re: cycling, a bloke on a bike was killed in our area after an RTC around 6 months ago. Not through being hit, but the most simple of offence - car door being opened without checking. Tragic incident.
Power of arrest for PCSOs for 'as and when' - s24a PACE & common law (i.e. BoP) using s3 CLA 1967

I'm a PCSO, I will WATCH you get your head kicked in (as per force policy)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic