diversity check for PCSOs

Any other 'PCSO issues' that do not fit in to the other forums. Recruitment of PCSOs, day to day PCSO duties, questions about law, joining the regular police, becoming a special, anything else remotely PCSO orientated!!

Moderator: national-PCSOs

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

diversity check for PCSOs

Post by falkor » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:41 pm

ok here is my question to you on this forum, tell me a number from the above chart and give an explanation of the symbol above the number

I will start as an example

number 9. The cross symbol, which is today one of the most widely recognised religious symbols in the world is the earliest used Christian symbol. In the most broad sense it symbolizes the religion of a Christian. More specifically, it represents and memorializes Christ's death.

so that is the kind of response expected but to make this more interesting, answer me any other symbol above - maybe you could give an example of how this came into your PCSO day to day work but not a requirement, guesses are welcome but if you are correct you can set a diversity question on this thread of your own! :sltee: please join in

ninjamonk
Committee Member
Committee Member

Re: diversity check for PCSOs

Post by ninjamonk » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:51 pm

I don't get much of these symbols in my day to day as a pcso, however i will go for number 9 which is the star of David which symbolises the jewish identity.

GlynB
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by GlynB » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:18 am

Number 4 is a Hindu symbol. The arms are bent in a clockwise direction, unlike those of the Swastika the right wing Nazis of and represents good fortune. This was, I believe, also a sign used by a 19th century Christian movement known as the New Church
Glyn Boyington

Arthur ASCII
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Arthur ASCII » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:29 am

A pedant writes...

Ninjamonk has mistakenly attributed the star of david as number 9 (it is number 8 )

GlynnB is only partially correct. The hindu swastika has two forms, both clockwise (right-facing) and anti-clockwise (left-facing), which are mirror-images of each other. These two forms are said to represent the two forms of Lord Brahma, the creator: The right-facing swastika indicates the evolution of the universe (Pravritti) and the left-facing swastika symbolizes involution of the universe (Nivritti, the process that allows creation to happen). The Pravritti swastika shown as No4 in the illustration was the one used as an emblem by the nazis.
UNISON - Fighting your corner. Join us HERE
ImageImageImageImage

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Post by falkor » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:05 pm

yes it was stolen by the Nazis and the Hindus were horrified by this, AFAIK Hitler himself spotted the symbol and decided to use it as his "brand" for his political party "The Nazis" in 1933
which is the star of David which symbolises the jewish identity.
yes correct and that would have been my next answer, we still have a number of symbols for members to reply and the members who got them right GlynB and ninjamonk can now set their own "diversity" questions on here if they wish

please join in especially if you have a story to go with one of these symbols :slsm:

PI & GI
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by PI & GI » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:52 pm

5 is the Sikh religion, this symbom is seen at Gurdawaas etc..
WHO LOVES YA BABY! (KOJAK)

Arthur ASCII
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Arthur ASCII » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:16 am

ImageImageImageImage

bluecopper
Committee Member
Committee Member
Alignment: 'Thunder'

Post by bluecopper » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:28 am

Number 1 is the Red Crescent I believe, which is the Islamic version of the Red Cross

Victor
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Victor » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:33 pm

No: 6 is a Chinese symbom called "yīnyáng". Root meaning: moonlight (dark) and sunlight (light). Yin later came to be associated with female, negative etc. Yang later came to be associated with male, positive etc.

Bert Moffat
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Bert Moffat » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:21 pm

bluecopper wrote:Number 1 is the Red Crescent I believe, which is the Islamic version of the Red Cross
Na, its the star and crescent. The red crescent is just this:

Arthur ASCII
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Arthur ASCII » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:35 pm

1. Is usually accepted as a symbol of Islam, but actually dates back to the pre-islamic days of the Ottoman Empire.
ImageImageImageImage

snakeywakey
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by snakeywakey » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:58 am

Impressive people. Was any googling involved or was this straight up knowledge? I was going to try but all the ones I had the faintest clue about were taken.

bluecopper
Committee Member
Committee Member
Alignment: 'Thunder'

Post by bluecopper » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:48 pm

Bugger, I got it wrong then. I didn't google though obviously. I may have got it right if I had!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic