Stop and Account

Any other 'PCSO issues' that do not fit in to the other forums. Recruitment of PCSOs, day to day PCSO duties, questions about law, joining the regular police, becoming a special, anything else remotely PCSO orientated!!

Moderator: national-PCSOs

snakeywakey
Executive Member
Executive Member

Stop and Account

Post by snakeywakey » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:32 am

What do YOU say to people when you stop them? Are you commanding, polite, aggressive, banterous or formal? What words do you use?

Bert Moffat
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Re: Stop and Account

Post by Bert Moffat » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:35 am

Hello, hello, hello.... :slzip:

Big Brother
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Examiner: XIII

Post by Big Brother » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:47 am

Always polite.
Big brother is watching you.

jay1
Executive Officer
Executive Officer
Class: 'Undead Hunter'
Alignment: 'Shadow'
Sacred: 'Ranger'

Post by jay1 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:45 am

polite at all times

ninjamonk
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by ninjamonk » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:43 am

Again Always polite, I enter in a casual conversation, hopefully build a quick rapport, then i say the reason why I stopped them. we don't have to do stop and account forms only for stop and search.

Arthur ASCII
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Arthur ASCII » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:56 am

snakeywakey wrote:What do YOU say to people when you stop them? Are you commanding, polite, aggressive, banterous or formal? What words do you use?
Any of the above, dependant on my assessment of the situation and the individual(s).
UNISON - Fighting your corner. Join us HERE
ImageImageImageImage

the dark lord
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by the dark lord » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:10 pm

Always polite and friendly and take it from there....

If you go in at top level with attitude, it leaves you nowhere to go, if you in aggressive and or accusatory you cant be surprised when you get the same back.

One thing i do is I always make sure i explain at some point during the conversation why I am stop checking/stop accounting, who I am and ask if they have any questions etc... The flavour of GO-WISLY, put like that it sounds so formal, but as with go-wisely most of it falls within the patter of a chat.

One of my colleagues has the ability to make everyone do something and feel like they are doing her a favour from asking someone to make a cuppa to getting A Crim to sit ina van and chill out!

averagejoe90
Committee Member
Committee Member
Sacred: 'Dragoon'

Post by averagejoe90 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:49 pm

:slwo:
Last edited by averagejoe90 on Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
AccountKiller

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by powdermonkey » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:40 pm

Always polite. If the situation escalates then it's because the other person has escalated it, not me. Keeping polite and civil when the other person is swearing does annoy them because you aren't rising to the bait! It also means that you can, if you decide to, issue a PND for S.5 POA without a response of "you swore too."
If I get a number of people all talking at once at me, I keep quiet and don't respond to any of them, then, when they finally shut up, I say "I didn't hear a word of what was said as you were all talking at once. Speak one at a time & I'll listen to you."
If I get someone raising their voice at me, I lower mine almost to a whisper and they then usually stop shouting because they can't hear what I'm saying.
I have a couple of colleagues who go in a bit heavy handed from the start and they're the ones who, strangely enough, get the most threats and insults.
Being polite works. I arrested one of the local numpties the other day and, because I've always been polite & reasonable with him, he didn't kick off or run away.
I will be assertive and firm when required, and I know how to adjust my communication (including body language) according to my audience.
I have seen the truth and it makes no sense.

snakeywakey
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by snakeywakey » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:07 pm

I'm always polite and formal yet friendly. I find a couple of the main targets seem to HAAAATE me. They've told other bobbies they hate me, they've told me they hate me. :-/ I had this lunatic ranting at me once and I just kept saying I'm here to make sure you don't get kidnapped by aliens just to see if he was listening to any of it. Nada. I even tried waiting for him to run out of steam but he just kept building himself higher and higher... Ah well... My colleague locked him up S.5.PO. :-)

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by powdermonkey » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:22 pm

Mmmm. Lunatics kidnapped by aliens? They must be dumping them where I work!
I have seen the truth and it makes no sense.

Gualsa
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Gualsa » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:11 pm

I am always friendly and polite and usually there are no problems... unless I am confiscating precious items at the same time!

bluecopper
Committee Member
Committee Member
Alignment: 'Thunder'

Post by bluecopper » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:04 am

Depends who it is and what the situation is, is I'm stopping someone who has just robbed someone, I'm certainly not polite. If it's a usual abusive street drinker I'm not polite. Varies and another aspect that makes the job interesting and fun!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic