police should wear microphones to address decline in trust

Any other 'PCSO issues' that do not fit in to the other forums. Recruitment of PCSOs, day to day PCSO duties, questions about law, joining the regular police, becoming a special, anything else remotely PCSO orientated!!

Moderator: national-PCSOs

should police wear microphones and cameras to record their actions 24/7?

You may select 1 option

View results

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

police should wear microphones to address decline in trust

Post by falkor » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:38 pm

David Davis said police should wear microphones and cameras to record their actions to address a decline in public trust – an idea that has won the support of Nick Herbert, a former policing minister, who said the idea was "worth piloting".

The call came as Sir Bernard Hogan-Howe, Britain's most senior officer, admitted the Plebgate row had clouded the public view of Scotland Yard and had taken too long to deal with

PI & GI
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: police should wear microphones to address decline in tru

Post by PI & GI » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:41 am

i think mps should would cameras to protect themselves against sleeze alegations lol two faced ********
WHO LOVES YA BABY! (KOJAK)

ruben
Navigator
Navigator

Post by ruben » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:36 pm

In my force, we are currently trialling body worn video (BWV), but its mainly only used for domestic violence incidents to try and increase the numbers of victimless prosecutions. My main issue with it is that when it gets rolled out fully and most incidents are captured on camera, some inevitably wont be and i feel that prosecutions will start to fall because of this...IE - there is no BWV of this incident, so there is insufficient evidence to charge.

Just my opinion. What do you think?
Constable of 6 years, previously PCSO 18 months

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Post by falkor » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:47 am

Ruben so the BWV films the domestic violence incident as you arrive? obviously this won't apply to PCSOs but it is interesting to note that video evidence is so good, we wouldn't need a witness statement from the victim at all, or if one was obtained but then withdrawn, the case could still go ahead

IE - there is no BWV of this incident, so there is insufficient evidence to charge. Yes I think in a case where there was no victim statement or it was withdrawn and then no BWV then there just is no evidence. the CPS are not precious about what kind of evidence but they do insist on having SOME :mrgreen:

The Army were equipped with BWV in Afghanistan when a Taliban soldier was killed, it transpired the soldiers can all turn the recording on/off and one soldier had mistakenly turned the recording on when he thought it was switching it off

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic