PCSOs on Fixed Term Contracts

Any other 'PCSO issues' that do not fit in to the other forums. Recruitment of PCSOs, day to day PCSO duties, questions about law, joining the regular police, becoming a special, anything else remotely PCSO orientated!!

Moderator: national-PCSOs

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

PCSOs on Fixed Term Contracts

Post by falkor » Tue May 27, 2014 9:11 pm

so here we have West Mercia Police advertising Fixed Term Contracts for PCSOs

Viz the contracts expire in 2016

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Re: PCSOs on Fixed Term Contracts

Post by powdermonkey » Tue May 27, 2014 11:40 pm

So the PCSO's will be in post for about 18 months by the time they get though the recruiting process. It doesn't seem a very good investment of money regarding the training, uniform & equipment plus the cost of running the recruitment process to potentially bin them so quickly. They'll barely have time to get experience. I wonder if there's a question over funding for all PCSO's in West Mercia and, if that's secured, then they'll be offered extended contracts or even full time posts. What next, zero hours contracts for PCSO's?
I have seen the truth and it makes no sense.

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Post by falkor » Wed May 28, 2014 7:12 pm

quite right! :slna: they have obviously got so many people applying for these jobs that "Fixed Term Contracts" can be tolerated because of the huge lack of other jobs on offer

because otherwise, who would apply for a job that was for a "Fixed Term Contract"? :slch2: A lot of local councils now choose to contact Employment Agencies to pull in staff to man their departments as TEMPS, rather than advertise the posts as Full Time Permanent jobs

so people who go to Employment Agencies looking for a "quick fix" will be offered TEMP WORK and quite possible at their local council offices and this "Fixed Term Contracts" :sloop: is the next stage on from that as far as I can see

You either accept it and apply for it or carry on looking elsewhere I suppose but not a brilliant development is it?

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by powdermonkey » Thu May 29, 2014 8:42 pm

I had a spell of unemployment many years ago after leaving college. During that time I signed on with a few agencies and did a few temp jobs (admin, data entry, even driving a four ton tipper truck although not very well! :slwoot: ) and a couple of fixed term contracts. I took the temp jobs on for the usual and obvious reasons - it looks good on the CV that I wasn't just sitting around, I needed the money & it stopped me getting bored and in a rut. I even signed up for a computer programming course via the job centre as it gave me a little bit extra in benefits. The following week the course offered was HGV driving & I'd have gone for that for the same reason. I took the fixed term contracts for the same reasons and also in the hope that a permanent job might come out of it, plus once you're working for an organisation you get to hear about jobs coming up.
I can see why unemployed people would be attracted to a fixed term contract as a PCSO but I think they'll be disappointed if they're hoping it'd become permanent. A new fixed contract is the most likely result.
I can see the advantage to an employer of fixed term contracts, but really only for low skilled jobs where training isn't an issue or where previous experience is essential.
It might come as a shock to the candidate that they have to supply their own boots (as far as I'm aware no police force supplies them for PCSO's) and that can be a significant layout for someone on benefits (my Lowa's cost £140) when they may not need those boots 18 months later. I believe and the current maximum unemployment benefit rate is approx. £65. A pair of boots that will last the 18 months is going to cost most of that, even if you buy an unknown brand rather than Lowa, Altberg etc. Even Magnums cost from approx. £70 and their choc ices last longer than their boots. :slsm:
I can't see that going through the full recruitment process of paper sift, interview, background checks and a medical, then paying for 7 weeks training and then uniform and stab vest (none of which can be re-used) is a worthwhile investment when they only want the person for 18 months. Obviously West Mercia think so, but how dedicated and enthusiastic are the candidates going to be, especially when the end of the contract looms and they either know it won't be extended/renewed or haven't been told either way?
If it isn't a question over funding, then I wonder why fixed term contracts have been chosen.
Are there any West Mercia PCSO's on this forum and can they enlighten us? Hopefully their jobs are safe and it's just about funding for extra PCSO's that the force feels it needs.
I have seen the truth and it makes no sense.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic