Offender Checks - Do they work?

Any other 'PCSO issues' that do not fit in to the other forums. Recruitment of PCSOs, day to day PCSO duties, questions about law, joining the regular police, becoming a special, anything else remotely PCSO orientated!!

Moderator: national-PCSOs

the dark lord
Committee Member
Committee Member

Offender Checks - Do they work?

Post by the dark lord » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:53 pm

Mr force is currently haveing a big push, each division has a new team to target and check on offenders.

Basically each week a list of 20 or so offenders that are the flavour of the week is put together and they are visited usually daily by officers.

These checks basically consist of a door knock..... "Hello Dave, are you going burgling today?"..... No? "oh right, toodles" The team then note what they are wearing etc and its tea, cakes and medals all'round.

If there is no answer then the officers try, girlfriends addresses, grannies address and mates addresses - briefly.

I fail to see what this gets us.

If i was Dodgy Dave after being visited i would shrug my shoulders, have another tin or cider, get changed and then go out burgling happy in the knowledge that plod wouldn't be knocking on my door or suspecting me.

Dodgy Dave won't tell us anything that he doesnt want to know, he is usually "staying in", "keeping his head down", "tryna get a job boss".

It all seems like a waste of time and effort while comms are unable to allocate immediate response "Thieves On" incidents due to a lack of troops.

Just to be clear I am not on-about curfew checks!

Discuss......

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Re: Offender Checks - Do they work?

Post by powdermonkey » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:59 pm

I fully agree. My force calls them Integrated Offender Management (IOM) checks. The idea is that they disrupt the offenders and let them know we're watching them.
I can't see that they're very disruptive unless you're waking them up after they've been out thieving all night. All they'll do is go back to bed and maybe miss Jeremy Kyle. I think curfew checks & stop/searches do that better.
As you say, we make a note of what they're wearing but there's nothing to stop them getting changed & going out after we've been round. They don't get done daily because of PC's & PCSO's getting diverted to other tasks and not every one is conscientious about doing the visits.
One got very obnoxious with a colleague from another team and was promptly arrested for S.5 POA which hopefully buggered up his day.
We don't check the addresses of their girlfriends etc, just their last known home address.
It can be a pain in the backside for me as at one point I had four to visit and, being on foot, by the time I'd done the visits half my shift was gone.
I have seen the truth and it makes no sense.

Marlon
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Marlon » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:59 pm

the dark lord wrote: These checks basically consist of a door knock..... "Hello Dave, are you going burgling today?"..... No? "oh right, toodles" The team then note what they are wearing etc and its tea, cakes and medals all'round.

If there is no answer then the officers try, girlfriends addresses, grannies address and mates addresses - briefly.

If i was Dodgy Dave after being visited i would shrug my shoulders, have another tin or cider, get changed and then go out burgling happy in the knowledge that plod wouldn't be knocking on my door or suspecting me.

Dodgy Dave won't tell us anything that he doesnt want to know, he is usually "staying in", "keeping his head down", "tryna get a job boss".

It all seems like a waste of time and effort while comms are unable to allocate immediate response "Thieves On" incidents due to a lack of troops.

If all you do is ask somebody "Are you still actively burgling?" then yes, it's a waste of time.

OTOH, if you speak to somebody and have a conversation with them, you can glean information e.g. your burglar may be looking for a job. If you ask where he's been looking and what luck he's had, you might get more out of him e.g. that he's picked up some voluntary work (where?) somewhere. You never know, you might even be able to help them with something, be it advice, or just letting them know where there's an employer looking for staff. (It's an easier life for us, if we stop offenders from offending, right?)

You might also help build up a pattern of movements, or lack of movements.

These are just examples and I accept there are those who are uncommunicative/difficult/downright hostile.

If those you are targeting are selected correctly, then putting the effort into the minority of people who are causing the most crime/creating the most demand could/should have the net effect of reducing the overall demand.

the dark lord
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by the dark lord » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:18 am

Marlon wrote:
the dark lord wrote: These checks basically consist of a door knock..... "Hello Dave, are you going burgling today?"..... No? "oh right, toodles" The team then note what they are wearing etc and its tea, cakes and medals all'round.

If all you do is ask somebody "Are you still actively burgling?" then yes, it's a waste of time.

OTOH, if you speak to somebody and have a conversation with them, you can glean information e.g. your burglar may be looking for a job. If you ask where he's been looking and what luck he's had, you might get more out of him e.g. that he's picked up some voluntary work (where?) somewhere. You never know, you might even be able to help them with something, be it advice, or just letting them know where there's an employer looking for staff. (It's an easier life for us, if we stop offenders from offending, right?)

You might also help build up a pattern of movements, or lack of movements.

These are just examples and I accept there are those who are uncommunicative/difficult/downright hostile.

If those you are targeting are selected correctly, then putting the effort into the minority of people who are causing the most crime/creating the most demand could/should have the net effect of reducing the overall demand.
I was not being too serious when i suggested that "are you actively burgling?" should or was asked..

My experience is that they will just tell you what you want to hear, garnished with a 'ive got a new girlfriend' or 'im staying out of crime for the kids sake...she is four now!' or i'm trying to get a job but its hard boss, what with my record and stuff...innit' to get you off thier doorstep. Our particular rotten borough has just decided to cut the number of people we call on, but experience seems to show it is rarely those who are flavour of the month with the "white shirts" who are active.

Wither they are getting the lists wrong, or the visits work, i thikn it is the former.

averagejoe90
Committee Member
Committee Member
Sacred: 'Dragoon'

Post by averagejoe90 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:32 am

:slwo:
AccountKiller

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic