Recruitment on hold

Any other 'PCSO issues' that do not fit in to the other forums. Recruitment of PCSOs, day to day PCSO duties, questions about law, joining the regular police, becoming a special, anything else remotely PCSO orientated!!

Moderator: national-PCSOs

addi564
Registered Member
Registered Member

Recruitment on hold

Post by addi564 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:09 pm

Just recieved the following email from Wiltshire police.

Dear candidate,

Police Community Support Officer

You have been sent a provisional offer of employment for the above role. Unfortunately due to operational reasons we have had to postpone the medical and fitness dates for next month (July). This means you will not need to attend Devizes Headquarters on the 3rd, 10th or 24th July and we will not commence any checks or send any references requests at this time.

I apologise for any inconvenience caused and we will endeavour to update you by the 18th July 2014.

Knowing how fickle police recruitment is i have a bad feeling about this. Suppose it is a good job that i am applying for other roles.

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Re: Recruitment on hold

Post by powdermonkey » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:36 pm

addi564,

Please don't lose heart. I doubt very much that this is anything other than a slight delay. The force wouldn't have started the recruitment process and the financial and work investment involved if they didn't think the process would be completed ie. they had secured funding in their budget for however many PCSO vacancies there are.

The reason given could be a number of things : staff shortages (holidays, extractions for other tasks etc) to not be able to carry out the medical & other checks, something further down the line that has a backwards ripple effect, such as problems with the training facilities (double booked?) or staff shortage (again holidays etc?) amongst the training staff. On my training, although it was a group of only 12, we had a total of 5 or 6 trainers (a couple for law stuff, one for H & S, one for computer stuff, one for self defence etc) plus guest speakers, people who helped in the role playing & so on. Lose one of those for a few day or a week & it could mean significant changes. Even though we were given a timetable on day one, it was changed as we went along, due to things such as computer difficulties, availability of radios to use in training, weather).

Take heart from the word "postponed" as opposed to "cancelled". Do you think it might be worth phoning them to get clarification on the "operational reasons"? If you're not sure about making such a phone call, all I can say is that if it were me receiving that call I'd take it as you showing how enthusiastic and keen you are on doing the job.
I have seen the truth and it makes no sense.

addi564
Registered Member
Registered Member

Re: Recruitment on hold

Post by addi564 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:56 pm

I did call straight away. They was very blunt, said its all in the email and there is no more info. I am keeping the faith but do have a bad feeling

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic