how about awards for community support officers

Any other 'PCSO issues' that do not fit in to the other forums. Recruitment of PCSOs, day to day PCSO duties, questions about law, joining the regular police, becoming a special, anything else remotely PCSO orientated!!

Moderator: national-PCSOs

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Re: how about awards for community support officers

Post by powdermonkey » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:26 pm

I've seen reports in WYP's Bulletin (in house "newspaper") and intranet of people being named as PCSO of the year. There may have been other announcements (Chief Cons Commendation, Judges Commendations) but I must have missed them. I had noticed, when I was in SOCO, that when a judge praises an investigation & various officers are named, no one ever mentioned the work done by the SOCO's at the scene which can be hard and unpleasant. On that basis, I doubt a PCSO would get mentioned - civvies still seem to get overlooked. One PCSO I worked with was supposedly getting a Chief Super's Commendation for work regarding drug supply, but I don't know if it ever happened and he's now left the job, so I can't ask him.

I agree with lonerider, you shouldn't be getting awards for just doing your job. Doing mouth to mouth on Mrs Miggins, then certainly. That's reflected in my views on PDR/annual job reviews. It's a case of jumping up and down saying "look at me, I'm doing what I'm paid to do, aren't I wonderful?" I don't like it, but that's how things are these days.
I've had a couple of thank you letters from MOP's which are a form of award, I suppose, & I certainly made sure my supervision were aware :D
I have seen the truth and it makes no sense.

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Post by falkor » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:32 pm

well SOCO work is deserving of praise, many an investigation would be nowhere without it

I guess it's the days that stand out proper like this one where a PCSO recognised a circulated ROBBER and went on from there, WOW, check this out :slhi:
Winsford Guardian, 22 July, 2014
PSCO Kevin McShane, left, receives his Judge’s Commendation from chief constable Simon Byrne
Morrison, 27, attempted to rob a heavily pregnant woman at a cash point last May. Morrison held a blade to her stomach, but she managed to run to her car, leaving her card in the machine.
A CCTV image of the offender was circulated, and PCSO McShane recognised it to be a man he knew. He made extensive enquiries, conducting visits to Morrison′s home, in which he saw him wearing the same clothes described by the victim and captured on CCTV.

Morrison subsequently pleaded guilty to robbery and possession of a bladed article.

Chief Constable Simon Byrne said: "These awards are a terrific opportunity to recognise the hard work and dedication of our officers and staff.

"I was delighted to be in the company of these people for an evening of celebration, and feel proud of their commitment to the force and the people of Cheshire whom we serve."

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by powdermonkey » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:00 pm

I'm glad he's got an award but this is really what lonerider rightly meant. PCSO McShane has essentially done his job. I suppose he went a bit further in the enquiries he did but even that could be argued as doing what he's paid for. It's a fairly thin line between "just doing your job" and "going the extra mile" but I wouldn't mind betting many PCSO's have done similar enquiries.

I suppose I shouldn't complain and be grateful for any recognition we get for the work we do. These days you have to blow your own trumpet.
I have seen the truth and it makes no sense.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic