ordered to remove her uniform before boarding a flight

OFF TOPIC is for any news story not directly linked to PCSO issues, off duty leisure pursuits. Sailing down the Thames. Playing computer games or basket weaving.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

ordered to remove her uniform before boarding a flight

Post by falkor » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:35 pm

What a way to treat a heroine: Royal Navy girl who fought in Afghanistan told to cover up uniform on Virgin flight in case it offended other passengers
She was confronted by a G4S security guard and Virgin Atlantic staff, who ordered her to change into pyjamas before boarding the jet.
They told her – wrongly – that it was the company’s policy not to allow military personnel to travel in uniform.

In emails sent to a civilian friend, Petty Officer Howse, from Ipswich, Suffolk, said: ‘It was horrific. I was made to feel uncomfortable in my own country for wearing the uniform I wear to defend the place. It made me ashamed of my country that a British serviceman can’t travel in uniform. I was so distressed.’

Sh0e told her friend: ‘It started at check-in. Some G4S security guy gave me the third degree about travelling in uniform. I was fuming. He was rude, he wouldn’t let the check-in girl give me my passport.

‘I was shaking with rage. I thought it was all done. But when I got to the departure gate I was taken to the side by the flight supervisor and they said I wasn’t allowed to fly in uniform and had to wear a sleep suit. I then stood feeling completely humiliated with other passengers, clearly curious as to what was going on, staring at me, waiting for him to come back with the black pyjamas.

‘I asked if it was Virgin policy, they said “Yes”. I refused to wear it until after I was on board then still refused but basically got told I’d be asked to leave the flight if I didn’t take it off or cover it up.’

She told her friend: ‘I was basically told it was because “We don’t only fly British passengers” and told it was seen as a threat. I went ballistic. I said “In the country I defend I can’t wear my uniform?”
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z2N45sSBKm

Arthur ASCII
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Re: ordered to remove her uniform before boarding a flight

Post by Arthur ASCII » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:44 am

During my 18 years in the Armed Forces I NEVER wore my uniform while travelling on public transportation. Why would I? It merely identifies the wearer and provides a target for terrorists.

As a Petty Officer, this woman should have known better.
UNISON - Fighting your corner. Join us HERE
ImageImageImageImage

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic