lottery syndicate

OFF TOPIC is for any news story not directly linked to PCSO issues, off duty leisure pursuits. Sailing down the Thames. Playing computer games or basket weaving.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

lottery syndicate

Post by falkor » Thu May 26, 2011 9:07 pm

back in 1997 I joined a lottery syndicate at work

paid money to the guy running it

once in a while I would see a tin of biscuits being passed around with the comment "Oh we won a few bob" there were no details, no reports, no breakdown and this went on for months

I said "what if we win the big one?" I heard back "oh that'll be great, don't worry it would all get shared out"

losing all confidence in this shambles of an operation :D :lol: I went to WH SMITH and bought a DIY lottery syndicate contract and started my own "break away syndicate" swearing to do all the things that the old shambles group never bothered to

have you ever been a member of a syndicate?

Arthur ASCII
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Re: lottery syndicate

Post by Arthur ASCII » Fri May 27, 2011 8:00 am

I'm probably in the "protected species" category as I've never ever even bought a lottery ticket.

Gualsa
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Gualsa » Fri May 27, 2011 10:23 pm

We have a lottery syndicate at work. Everyone in the syndicate have chosen a line and we all have copy of all the lines entered every week. If someone is continually behind on payment they will be chucked out of the syndicate and their line deleted. Its quite well "policed" :sltgu:

falkor
Navigator
Navigator

Post by falkor » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:33 pm

hehe TOP JOB Gualsa, quite right :slhi:

WARNING SAD SAD STORY HERE!!

Bought a whole ton of lottery tickets for the syndicate, a whole months worth

trotted down to COSTA to have a cuppa and a sandwich during my lunch break, during the placing of the teapot onto the table hot water or tea, not sure which dripped over the tickets slightly

I tried to brush the liquid off, it wasn't much but the barcode at the bottom of the tickets just blotted across with this liquid unglueing the print into a blurred black smear!! :slzip: OMG

oh well, knowing our luck it won't be a wining ticket anyway, I thought

a month went by and £30 of prizes on those tickets mate, get 'em back down to the post office!!

got em down to the Post Office bloke handed me £20

I said "no £30 I think" he handed me back one of the tickets "machine won't read the ticket mate, what have you spilled on it?" I said "Can you try it again?" He put it back in for another try, no way would that machine read it and he handed the ticket back to me "nothing we can do son" and went onto the next customer

oh great!! so I decided that I should put the ticket into an envelope and send it to the National Lottery with a letter simply asking for my prize money

Guess what happened next?

a) no response

b) got a letter back stating the ticket was not a winning ticket

c) got a letter back saying that the ticket was unreadable and a long lecture reminding me that it is my responsibility to keep tickets in a "readable condition" otherwise they are null and void

d) got a letter back with a cheque for £10

Gualsa
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Gualsa » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:29 am

C ?

Lieutenant fatman
Counsellor
Counsellor
Class: 'Paladin'

Post by Lieutenant fatman » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:08 am

I'm going to guess C as well. Wowsers, lucky it wasn't a big win! I'm in a lottery syndicate where I work. Quite well run and every time we win a few quid an email is sent round straight away stating exactly how much was won.

I don't expect we will ever win, but I would be gutted if I was left out! And it's nice to know there's always that possibility no matter how slim.

ruben
Navigator
Navigator

Post by ruben » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:19 pm

D? Ive heard that if you lose your ticket on a big win, you can apply to the lottery and tell them where you bought the ticket, the numbers you had and the time you bought the ticket, they will payout.not sure if it is true though!
Constable of 6 years, previously PCSO 18 months

falkor
Navigator
Navigator

Post by falkor » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:14 pm

well I didn't lose it, it just wouldn't read in the poxy shop!!

anyway glad to report D

got a cheque through, pretty quick too :slwoot:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic