go to Mars, but .... don't come back

OFF TOPIC is for any news story not directly linked to PCSO issues, off duty leisure pursuits. Sailing down the Thames. Playing computer games or basket weaving.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

Catweazle
Committee Member
Committee Member

Re: go to Mars, but .... don't come back

Post by Catweazle » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:45 am

Not quite- Earth was believed (at the time) to be such. Saying that, there still exists a Flat Earth Society today.
I may not agree with what you have to say- but I'll defend to the death (well, almost) your right to say it.

May the Reasonable Force be with you !

Marlon
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Marlon » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:49 am

Catweazle wrote:Not quite- Earth was believed (at the time) to be such.

I'm quite sure that some argued at the time that they had proof (by the standards of the day.)

That last part's really the important one.

Catweazle
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Catweazle » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:09 am

We can only go on fact. Of course, much remains to be discovered. I doubt if we will ever have the resources to send another man to the moon, never mind Mars. The USA is bleeding itself dry with ever increasing welfare costs and debt, not to mention the escalating costs of other people's wars the world over. China will be the next superpower- and if China eventually manages to conquer and enslave the world, they will have the world's resources at their disposal. But I doubt that will happen any time soon.
I may not agree with what you have to say- but I'll defend to the death (well, almost) your right to say it.

Arthur ASCII
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Arthur ASCII » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:27 pm

The Chinese plan a manned mission to the moon by 2024, and are working very diligently to achieve it, after sending an unmanned probe into lunar orbit as long ago as 2007.

AFAIK The USA are still on track to start a mission to Mars around 2030.

Catweazle
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Catweazle » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:08 pm

At this time, I think the Chinese would rather spend more on their mighty army. China does not want to be humiliated by failure (a rocket that crahes will be labelled "Made in China")... so they will not attempt this until they can more or less guarantee success. Although a manned mission is possible, I doubt if they will land a man on the moon by 2024.

It would be great if the US did send a man to Mars by 2030... but with escalating costs and mounting debt, add to that the danger and mission timescale invloved, I believe this will never happen.

Big Brother
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Examiner: XIII

Post by Big Brother » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:39 am

Catweazle wrote:
Marlon and Big Brother- Don't worry, the Apocalypse won't take place for countless millions of years- by which time Man will have evolved (or retrogressed) into something completely unrecognisable. Furthermore, that guy who predicted the end of the world last month keeps postponing the Apocalypse in any case... trust me, nothing to worry about!

Nuclear war, Pandemic, abnormal solar activity and meteorite impact are all things that could happen tomorrow and we'd be powerless to stop. Whilst total extinction of the human race is unlikely, the destruction of civilisation as we know it, is. Look back through history, this planet is at the mercy of whatever nature, space or ourselves decide to throw at it.

Confining the human race to one planet when we have the technology and resources to spread out is madness when all that is standing in our way is global co-operation. Maybe it would take the European Union becoming the Pan-Euro Hegemony or the Pacific rim nations uniting into the Asian Dynasty and the world being made of 2 or 3 competing super states to do it.
Big brother is watching you.

Catweazle
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Catweazle » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:57 pm

Of course natural disasters can and do occur... if a supergiant meteorite hits the earth next year and destroys us all, then that's what's meant to be. Even if we could colonise- let alone reach- another earth-like planet, other unforeseen factors such as incompatible atmospheric compositions would probably mean that we would not survive for the long term on another world.

2 or 3 competing global superpowers would always result in competition- since each would seek to dominate. A single dictatorial superpower would be the only chance of 'uniting' the world. With the USA bleeding itself dry, it can no longer afford grandiose adventures that in today's terms would equal the moon landing of 1969.

If the world was to be invaded by little green men from the planet Zob who would threaten all of us, then yes- we would unite... but the nearest we will ever come to that is another science fiction blockbuster. Maybe a Chinese sci-fi film would be more imaginative than the usual US equivalents?

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Post by falkor » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:41 pm

other unforeseen factors such as incompatible atmospheric compositions would probably mean that we would not survive for the long term on another world
I think this statement is the bottom line as things stand but hold up, what about a reality show? :slhi:
Dutch company Mars-One says it's won enough sponsorship money to create a reality TV show which it hopes will in turn fund a manned trip to Mars.
Image 6 bedroom house
The company hopes to use robots to build a habitable outpost between 2016 and 2020, and to land the first humans three years later. The project will need only existing technologies, it says.

"Receipt of initial sponsorship marks the next step to humans setting foot on Mars," says Bas Lansdorp, founder and President of Mars-One.

"A little more than a year ago we embarked down this path, calling upon industry experts to share in our bold dream. Today, we have moved from a technical plan into the first stage of funding, giving our dream a foundation in reality."

Self-funded for the prior eighteen months, Mars-One says it's already completed the initial technical development. Late this year and early next, it will fill out its technical and management staff. The new sponsorship funds will be used mainly to finance conceptual design studies provided by aerospace suppliers.

What really sets the project apart from the rest is the way the company hopes to raise the necessary $6 billion it reckons it needs to put the first people on Mars.

It plans to start selecting a 40-strong potential crew next year, and televise the whole procedure. They'll need to be rather more committed than your average Big Brother participant: there are no plans to bring the settlers back.

Gualsa
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Gualsa » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:30 pm

OMG, 40 people on a deserted planet with no policing.....It gives me the chills..

Dial 999 and wait 3 years for a response :slsos:

Catweazle
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Catweazle » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:46 am

'Go to Mars, don't come back'? Hmmmm...

Let's send Gordon Brown, Tony and Cherie Blair, Neil and Glenys Kinnock, Bob Crow, Diane Abbott and Ed Miliband along with 32 Human 'Rights' lawyers to the red planet (it's even Labour's colour).

They won't need policing, and they'll be free to introduce as many human 'rights' laws as they like. No need for a 999 number either- 666 will do nicely :slroll:

Big Brother
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Examiner: XIII

Post by Big Brother » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:58 am

I still stand by what I said those months ago. Whilst a trip to Mars would initially be one way, it wouldn't be forever. Regular supply drops with equipment, food, plants, colonists e.t.c. would eventually lead to a proper colony.

One of the technologies we need to perfect is Stereolithography, or "3d printing" which is still in its infancy but it is getting better. The first buildings to be built on Mars would be a Stereolithography plant and mines to supply raw materials. A fully functioning Stereolithography plant could be used to make any solid object, a more advanced system which we've yet to invent could be used to make mechanical objects as well.
Big brother is watching you.

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Post by falkor » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:34 pm

More than 100,000 people want to fly to Mars in 2022 - and never come back
Sponsors and media agencies would pay to broadcast the Mars mission.

'What we want to do is tell the story to the world. When humans go to Mars, when they settle on Mars and build a new Earth, a new planet. This is one of the most exciting things that ever happened, and we want to share the story with the entire world,' Lansdorp said.

Another second group of four will leave two years after the first

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by powdermonkey » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:51 am

And one year after the second group there'll be a McDonalds and a Starbucks.
I have seen the truth and it makes no sense.

Lieutenant fatman
Counsellor
Counsellor
Class: 'Paladin'

Post by Lieutenant fatman » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:34 pm

Looking forward to watching this on the television when it eventually happens, not too optimistic for their odds of survival, but fingers crossed everything goes well.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic