Piaggio's brilliant Yourban Scooter

OFF TOPIC is for any news story not directly linked to PCSO issues, off duty leisure pursuits. Sailing down the Thames. Playing computer games or basket weaving.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Piaggio's brilliant Yourban Scooter

Post by falkor » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:42 pm

The "Piaggio YOURBAN 300" is a tale of 3 wheels.

And one that I have been test driving for the last 24 hrs! I am really loving it to be honest!

It comes equipped with impressive instrumentation, acceleration and underseat storage! Ok it does look strange and the steering is heavy at first - well you are steering 2 wheels at the front not one!

But the wheels have disc brakes all round, the instrument panel has TIME, FUEL, TEMP, KM/ MPH, braking and suspension indication (and more) and the acceleration is pretty swift. No gears, but who cares about that? Not me, I have yearned for an auto transmission bike for a very long time!

The yellow light in the centre of the panel - if solid - means that the suspension of the bike is "LOCKED," meaning you can 'get off' the bike without main stand or side stand coming down.

It does have a main stand, but you will probably never use it. Instead just set the suspension to "LOCKED" and pull up the handbrake! Yes the bike has a handbrake and it's a great handbrake too.

With handbrake on and the suspension "LOCKED," the bike simply will not fall over, you can jump off it, it's as safe as houses.

If you get on the bike and start her up, the yellow indicator showing "LOCKED" will begin to flash. I asked the main man at Walton Rd what this meant, he replied, "It means DON'T GET OFF THE BIKE! It's not ready yet" haha it means the suspension is "UNLOCKING" - the light finally goes out and you can drive away - pretty much as per a normal 2 wheel motorbike.

So what are the advantages of 3 wheels over 2? Well, say you have a gammy leg and at traffic lights do not want to put one leg down to stabilise the bike, with this one, just "LOCK" suspension, you don't even need to put a leg down while waiting for traffic lights to change. Another thing, you have extra tread at the front with 2 wheels instead of 1. (Winter? Snow? Extra tread to drive with!) What else? Well the storage on this bike is truly awesome - 2 crash helmets and a jacket? Yep! Pull up the bike's seat and underneath is a cavernous storage pit where shopping, all your overdue library books and grub box will easily fit!

Ok it does look strange but have you ever had trouble finding your vehicle in a car park? Hehe with this, no trouble at all and think of the photo opportunities!! Your neighbours will be all over you asking to have a go or just go on as pillion. (Ideal vehicle for transporting two people!) So just how wide is the bike? Same width as any other scooter to be honest. You would think it would take up more width, but no. And I am telling you it is pretty pokey! Plenty of umphhhh!

But, properly described as a "motor tricycle," what kind of driving licence do you actually need to drive it? Well your Category B1 for those 17 or over, allows you to drive Motor tricycles, quadricycles and three or four wheeled vehicles with an unladen weight no more than 550 kg, so that's what you need B1, but what if you only have an A (motorcycle) would that cover you?

Sgt87
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Piaggio's brilliant Yourban Scooter

Post by Sgt87 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:25 pm

falkor wrote:Image
The "Piaggio YOURBAN 300" is a tale of 3 wheels.

And one that I have been test driving for the last 24 hrs! I am really loving it to be honest!

It comes equipped with impressive instrumentation, acceleration and underseat storage! Ok it does look strange and the steering is heavy at first - well you are steering 2 wheels at the front not one!

But the wheels have disc brakes all round, the instrument panel has TIME, FUEL, TEMP, KM/ MPH, braking and suspension indication (and more) and the acceleration is pretty swift. No gears, but who cares about that? Not me, I have yearned for an auto transmission bike for a very long time!
I went to the press launch for these and saw two different models. They are a naked version of the very popular MP3.
falkor wrote:The yellow light in the centre of the panel - if solid - means that the suspension of the bike is "LOCKED," meaning you can 'get off' the bike without main stand or side stand coming down.

It does have a main stand, but you will probably never use it. Instead just set the suspension to "LOCKED" and pull up the handbrake! Yes the bike has a handbrake and it's a great handbrake too.

With handbrake on and the suspension "LOCKED," the bike simply will not fall over, you can jump off it, it's as safe as houses.

If you get on the bike and start her up, the yellow indicator showing "LOCKED" will begin to flash. I asked the main man at Walton Rd what this meant, he replied, "It means DON'T GET OFF THE BIKE! It's not ready yet" haha it means the suspension is "UNLOCKING" - the light finally goes out and you can drive away - pretty much as per a normal 2 wheel motorbike.

So what are the advantages of 3 wheels over 2? Well, say you have a gammy leg and at traffic lights do not want to put one leg down to stabilise the bike, with this one, just "LOCK" suspension, you don't even need to put a leg down while waiting for traffic lights to change. Another thing, you have extra tread at the front with 2 wheels instead of 1. (Winter? Snow? Extra tread to drive with!)

I was involved with bringing these into the Met. We did alot of on and off road testing and my advice is NOT to ride up to traffic lights without putting a foot down. You need to consider the camber of the road and any potholes because when you pull away you could go off course and end up somewhere you don't want to be. We tested it and it was quite unpleasant. Our standing instruction is that one foot must be down and the suspension lockout must not be used unless the bike is stationary.... you have to be doing less than 8kph for it to be active, but that is still fast enough to come off in the right circumstances.

To give you an idea of how the suspension works, put one of the front wheels on the kerb and the other on the road. Now lock out the suspension. Get someone else to help with this bit (ie to steady it), but push it so that both wheels are back over the road surface. You will notice that the one that was over the kerb stays retracted until you release the suspension. You struggle to maintain stability and you can level it out. Press the release and it will come down with a thump. So going back to my previous paragraph, it can cause riders problems.
falkor wrote:But, properly described as a "motor tricycle," what kind of driving licence do you actually need to drive it? Well your Category B1 for those 17 or over, allows you to drive Motor tricycles, quadricycles and three or four wheeled vehicles with an unladen weight no more than 550 kg, so that's what you need B1, but what if you only have an A (motorcycle) would that cover you?
There are two versions. The 125 which would require a full A/A2 to be used without L Plates or CBT with L plates. The B1 licence version (300LT... LT stands for Long Track and is to do with the distance between the front wheels) is distinctive in that the indicators are on stalks and it has a foot brake. You wouldn't be able to ride this without B1 category.

I like the MP3 and did somewhere in the region of 800 miles over a few weeks. If I was to get one I'd probably go for the meaner looking Gilera Fuoco (part of the Piaggio Group)

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Post by falkor » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:00 pm

crikey that looks straight out of a SCI FI movie, way better than the one I borrowed

thanks for that Sarge!!

very interesting :sltee:

mj12cz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by mj12cz » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:27 pm

To be fair they do look cool, however they cost big money if I remember.
"Its a mother beautiful bridge and its going to be there"

Save the cheer leader, save the world.....

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic