should Girl Guides pledge devotion to God?

OFF TOPIC is for any news story not directly linked to PCSO issues, off duty leisure pursuits. Sailing down the Thames. Playing computer games or basket weaving.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

should Girl Guides pledge devotion to God?

Post by falkor » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:32 pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religio ... rists.html
Girls who join the Guides or Brownies may stop pledging their devotion to God after complaints that the practice discriminates against non-believers
Do you think Girl Guides should pledge devotion to God?

dingdangdo
Banned Member

Re: should Girl Guides pledge devotion to God?

Post by dingdangdo » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:54 pm

The parents have chosen to be non-believers and appear to forcing their (non) beliefs on their kids.

Let the kids make their own mind up.

Arthur ASCII
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Arthur ASCII » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:08 pm

IMHO requiring a child to pledge devotion to God is ridiculous in this multicultural society. Which God? Yahweh, Shiva or any of the pantheon of Sikh or Hindu gods? I know the oath (or Promise as it used to be known) was watered down to be non-specific, but it's time that the requirement to believe in a deity was expunged from the text.

Atheists, Bhuddists and others cannot be Guides, but Satanists might qualify if the God in the Promise is not specified. No wonder their membership is at an all time low.

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Post by falkor » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:26 pm

who's membership is at an all time low? the Guides?
dingdangdo wrote:The parents have chosen to be non-believers and appear to forcing their (non) beliefs on their kids.

Let the kids make their own mind up.
How can the kids make their own minds up if they are at Guides? Guides are telling them they have to pledge devotion to God or be discriminated against

dingdangdo
Banned Member

Post by dingdangdo » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:53 pm

You see it as a discrimination but I don't.

It is a life choice and I do not see the problem, if they are non-believers then they can still pledge and miss out any relevance to their god.

Arthur, the pledge is

I promise that I will do my best:
To love my God,
To serve the Queen and my country,
To help other people
and
To keep the Guide Law.

So it is not specific.

This came up recently and a spokesperson for the Girl Guides said:

"“Girl guiding UK does not require girls or young women to follow any particular faith, and not having a defined faith does not preclude membership. Our volunteer leaders work with girls and young women when they join us to explore the fuller meaning of the promise and decide if they are ready to make that promise. The promise has evolved to explicitly include members with different beliefs and another name can be substituted for God to make the promise more meaningful to each girl or woman. In these cases it is recommended that our volunteer leaders discuss the wording of the promise with the girl and an adult with parental responsibility."

As I said I do not see the problem.

Hysteria
Elite Member
Elite Member
Class: 'Night Summoner'
Alignment: 'Vampire'

Post by Hysteria » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:38 am

While The Brownies and Guides and Cubs and Scouts have always been a Christian organisation worldwide , here in the UK it has always been quite relaxed about who is allowed to join and unless that has changed since I was a Brownie ( early 80's ) myself and my sister and quite a few of our friends were Brownies / Guides , None of us were practising Christian's The only times we attended church was for church parade and that to most of us it was all about who got to hold the troop pennet etc ( basicly show off ) and that was about the only time the god thing came into it for us , there were a few girls who did not attend church parade but it was not an issue .

I will ask my mate tomorrow what the rules are these days for Guides ( she's a Guider ) .

Now as I was saying in this country things are quite relaxed BUT I know over in the US Religion is strictly ahered to when it comes to Brownies Guides Etc which is wrong .

tbh it's only an issue to those who like making an issue out of something and I think it is sad that a great organization like the Brownies/Guides feel they have drop their core beliefs to have to ' fit in ' with modern society .

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic