the actions of a modern day hero?

OFF TOPIC is for any news story not directly linked to PCSO issues, off duty leisure pursuits. Sailing down the Thames. Playing computer games or basket weaving.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

the actions of a modern day hero?

Post by falkor » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:20 pm

By Kelvin Mackenzie, Last updated at 11:57 PM on 16th December 2011

Could I urge you, if you haven’t already done so, to go on to YouTube and watch the actions of a modern-day hero?

Alan Pollock did what I have always wanted to do but lacked the courage. He threw a drunken, swearing, fare-dodging student off the train so the rest of the passengers could get home in peace.

And thanks to the fact that we all have the ability to become TV film-makers these days by using our mobile phones, the incident has been given a wide airing and has been recorded for posterity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSJBUNOG8kw

As a commuter, I always marvel at the courtesy of ticket inspectors when they face loutish behaviour. I couldn’t take that kind of thing without responding physically and would have lasted a nanosecond if confronted in such a manner.

Train companies specifically train their employees not to respond. In this case, 19-year-old Sam Main, who admitted he was drunk, didn’t have a valid ticket for his journey between Edinburgh and Polmont.

He argued for ten minutes with the ticket collector while the train was stationary (on a train ten minutes at standstill is a lifetime), saying he had given a ScotRail employee the ‘****ing ticket’ and the like.

Finally, Mr Pollock, a burly chap, got up from his seat and grabbed the oik, pulled him down the carriage and then dumped him out of the door on to the platform to the cheers of other passengers. When I watched the clip on YouTube, I cheered, too.

Mr Main, a second-year surveying student at Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh, suffered some minor scratching to his face. Excellent.

He didn’t want to make much of the incident afterwards but his dim-witted father, Lenny, said Mr Pollock should face a court for assault.

Is it any wonder that there is a steep increase in this kind of behaviour with idiot parents like Mr Main senior?

If he wonders why his son is such an idiot, could I suggest he look in the mirror? The answer is looking back at him.
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/artic ... z1gnFiZOlc

dingdangdo
Banned Member

Re: the actions of a modern day hero?

Post by dingdangdo » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:42 pm

Gaun yersel 'Big Man!!

Seen this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R81g-N5-f7c

dingdangdo
Banned Member

Post by dingdangdo » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:05 pm

They have both been charged.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-e ... e-16288101

Train eviction video: 'Big Man' is charged

Police have charged a man with assault after an alleged fare-dodger was removed from a train by a passenger.

Mobile phone recordings by a passenger on board the Edinburgh to Perth train on 9 December have been viewed by more than one million people on You Tube.

It appears to show a 'Big Man' throwing a teenager off a train after the youth argued with a ticket inspector.

British Transport Police said a 35-year-old man from Stirling had been charged with assault.

The man is understood to be Alan Pollock.

Meanwhile the student accused of fare dodging, 19-year-old Sam Mains from Falkirk, has been reported to the procurator fiscal.

He has been reported under Section 38 of the Criminal Justice and Licensing Act Scotland, and in connection with an allegation of trespass.

The You Tube video shows a passenger speaking to a conductor over an alleged unpaid fare.

He is then removed from the train by another passenger at Linlithgow.

steve999
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by steve999 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:38 pm

They had to charge both, if the BIG MAN was getting charged. What a load of rubbish........justice for the BIG MAN.

The public will just leave it to the conductor the next time and let him/her get assaulted or stabbed as they will not get involved.

The world has gone mad!

Catweazle
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Catweazle » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:10 am

It's not the world that's gone mad, it's our pathetic judiciary that's gone mad.

Which is worse- the idiot fare-dodger or the 'human rights' lawyer who stood up for him? Methinks the latter.

The Big Man deserves a nice big financial reward for doing what was clearly right.
I may not agree with what you have to say- but I'll defend to the death (well, almost) your right to say it.

May the Reasonable Force be with you !

dingdangdo
Banned Member

Post by dingdangdo » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:15 am

What "human rights" lawyer?

steve999
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by steve999 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:25 am

The Big Man got a round of applause after the event, that says it all.

I can't see this going all the way if the public & press get behind him.

The conductor is on gardening leave, as the train company are looking to knock him off, as well :slsa:

dingdangdo
Banned Member

Post by dingdangdo » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:34 am

So far the ned has been shown as an absolute idiot, and a liar.

I think even if the BIg Man takes it to court he will be admonished, that's if the PF doesn't put a pen through it.

mj12cz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by mj12cz » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:10 pm

Insane, the conductor was getting no where with the lad and abuse, i hope the big man shouts not out in court if it gets that far.
"Its a mother beautiful bridge and its going to be there"

Save the cheer leader, save the world.....

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

Catweazle
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Catweazle » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:39 pm

Dingdangdo- Do you know who is responsible for initiating prosecution/persecution against the 'Big Man'? My guess is individual(s) with 'Human Rights' leanings...
I may not agree with what you have to say- but I'll defend to the death (well, almost) your right to say it.

May the Reasonable Force be with you !

Gualsa
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Gualsa » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:43 pm

Problem is that the force used may not have been entirely proportionate. If "big man" is not charged there will be a load of other "wanna be heroes" who will get themselves on YouTube doing "good deeds".

I am not saying I agree but there is a reason that Joe Bloggs cannot take the law into his own hands.

dingdangdo
Banned Member

Post by dingdangdo » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:28 pm

Catweazle wrote:Dingdangdo- Do you know who is responsible for initiating prosecution/persecution against the 'Big Man'? My guess is individual(s) with 'Human Rights' leanings...
It was the wee ned's dad

steve999
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by steve999 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:49 pm

Gualsa wrote:Problem is that the force used may not have been entirely proportionate. If "big man" is not charged there will be a load of other "wanna be heroes" who will get themselves on YouTube doing "good deeds".

I am not saying I agree but there is a reason that Joe Bloggs cannot take the law into his own hands.

Only a court can say if the Force used was proportionate, we will wait and see what happens. I wonder he if is going for dosh :slsm:

dingdangdo
Banned Member

Post by dingdangdo » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:06 am

So can the PF steve. Once the report is submitted to their office, they may consider that there is no case and "no-pro" it.

Arthur ASCII
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Arthur ASCII » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:49 pm

An interesting article from the Periscope Post...

Source
‘Big Man’ in fare dodger video to face prosecution: Is he an avenger, or a bully?

The “big man” who threw a fare dodging teen off a train is to be prosecuted. But is he a hero, a bully, or is there a bigger picture?

The big man. Avenger or bully? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKKADFIEX84

The “Big Man”, 35-year-old Alan Pollock, who threw an apparent fare dodger off the 9.33pm train from Edinburgh to Perth, has been charged with assault by the British Transport Police, after the incident was filmed and posted on YouTube, where over 2 million people saw it. The teenager hurled off the train by Pollock has also come forward since the video went viral: Sam Main, 19, a student surveyor at Edinburgh’s Heriot-Watt University, says that he wasn’t a fare dodger at all, but had been sold the wrong tickets.

The video shows Main being asked, repeatedly, to leave the train; then Pollock stands up, asks if there’s a problem, and ejects Main. Another passenger then throws Main’s bag off, and Pollock prevents the teenager from getting on again. Main now claims to have suffered cuts and bruises; also that he was diabetic, and was afraid that his bag, with his medicine, had been left on the train. Both Pollock and Main must now report to the local procurator fiscal.

Commentators have largely portrayed Pollock as an old-fashioned hero winning the fight over an unruly yob. Pollock, who works for an investment management company in Edinburgh, is remaining silent about the incident. At least ticket collectors are happy – they claim that since the video, passengers have been behaving impeccably.

“I brought my children up to know right from wrong and that’s all my son was doing,” said Alan Pollock’s father, quoted on Deadline News.

Bad news for the public-spirited. I knew it, sighed Tom Utley in The Daily Mail: “The wrong man would end up in trouble with the law.” Pollock, a “public-spirited banker”, now faces Christmas “under the shadow of prosecution,” leaving public-minded people “groaning in despair.” The very fact that the video was seen by so many says “something profound about the psychology of modern civilised man.” Surely, we all “seethe” at the fare dodger’s anti-social behaviour. And we know, too, that most of us wouldn’t have the guts to do what the “big man” did. Utley himself would have abided by the “watchword of the modern urban commuter: ‘Don’t get involved.’” In charging Pollock, the police have given “cowards like me yet another excuse for refusing to get involved: don’t stand up for the silent majority, don’t do what you know to be right – or the law will throw the book at you.”

“I don’t condone the way I spoke to the conductor. But still there’s no way that anybody possibly who has seen the video can condone the way the passenger chose to handle the situation,” said Sam Main, quoted on The Daily Mail.

But things need to be taken in context. Perhaps we should stand back a little, said Vicky Allan in The Herald Scotland. We shouldn’t be too quick in making Main a “symbol or scapegoat”; perhaps, too, we should be wary of deciding that Big Man represents “the revenge our society needs on the young.” The problem with these YouTube videos is that we only see tiny fragments – and then fill them out with our own, “sometimes unfounded” fears. But there are “real people” in these dramas. If you actually look at the video, the response of passengers is “fairly mixed.” And the same can be said about the “virtual trial” that this YouTube video has triggered.
UNISON - Fighting your corner. Join us HERE
ImageImageImageImage

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic