Hillsborough: statements from officers altered

OFF TOPIC is for any news story not directly linked to PCSO issues, off duty leisure pursuits. Sailing down the Thames. Playing computer games or basket weaving.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Hillsborough: statements from officers altered

Post by falkor » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:58 am

Hillsborough Stadium, published yesterday, revealed that South Yorkshire Police carried out a systematic cover-up to exonerate senior officers and took part in a smear operation to put the blame on fans for being drunk and violent. Hundreds of witness statements from officers on duty were significantly altered, including 116 which criticised the match-day police operation and its leadership.
Independent Newspaper 13 Sept, 2012
David Crompton, Chief Constable of South Yorkshire Police, said those that had broken the law should be prosecuted. He apologised on behalf of his force which he said had made "grave errors".

"In the immediate aftermath, senior officers sought to change the record of events. Disgraceful lies were told which blamed the Liverpool fans for the disaster," he said.
116 police officers' statements were "substantially altered" to remove criticism. 164 statements were altered

Coroner Stefan Popper sanctioned the taking of blood samples from the dead to establish alcohol levels, the panel said, and the Police National Computer was used to check the pasts of some victims in an effort to "impugn the reputation of the deceased".

mj12cz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Re: Hillsborough: statements from officers altered

Post by mj12cz » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:29 pm

It will be really interesting to see the outcome of this, but it does appear to be a cover up!
"Its a mother beautiful bridge and its going to be there"

Save the cheer leader, save the world.....

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Re: Hillsborough: statements from officers altered

Post by falkor » Wed May 22, 2013 6:46 pm

this episode is an absolute disgrace in British Police History

Colin Murray 21 May 2013
I didn’t watch it, not initially. I’d had a good day and I knew that would end the minute this programme began, so instead I enjoyed dinner with my family, took in a film, and only pressed play once those I love were safely in bed.

Now I sit here, at 3am, after viewing BBC Panorama’s ‘Hillsborough – How They Buried The Truth’, and I can’t think about anything else. Again.

Quite honestly, I’m thinking about what it would be like if my wife went out tomorrow and never came back. And if for almost a quarter of a century to follow I would have her memory spat upon and besmirched by those in positions of power who are meant to protect us and uphold our collective principles. And I just want to punch the wall in anger.

I’m thinking about how any human being can look at a pitch strewn with the dead, the dying and the wounded, a nearby temporary morgue filling up with bodies, and already be hatching a plan to pin the blame on those very same corpses in order to save their own skin.

I’m thinking that anyone who can do this must have no soul to speak of, and no conscience to answer.

I’m thinking about those left behind, and how they’ve managed to not only keep fighting for justice, but have done so without lowering themselves to the same gutter level as those who have denied them the right to bury their loved ones with dignity and in peace.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic