Police use Facebook to inform mother of her son's death

OFF TOPIC is for any news story not directly linked to PCSO issues, off duty leisure pursuits. Sailing down the Thames. Playing computer games or basket weaving.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Police use Facebook to inform mother of her son's death

Post by falkor » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:35 pm

Police in Georgia say they tried traditional methods to contact Anna Lamb-Creasey before resorting to Facebook. She doesn't get the message for weeks, as it didn't come from a friend.

by Chris Matyszczyk, | February 20, 2013 4:10 PM PST
What do you do if someone who isn't a friend sends you a Facebook message?

Some people might not even know they've received one. It might well appear in their "Other" folder and who looks there?

In the case of Anna Lamb-Creasey, it took her weeks to realize someone had tried to contact her. It turned out that the message -- with the profile picture of Atlanta rapper T.I.-- came from a lieutenant in the police force.

The message told her that her that she should called the police because her son, Rickie Lamb, was.

As the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports, Lamb-Creasey had no reason to believe that a message from someone with the Facebook name "Misty Hancock" would have been something important.

Indeed, her daughter got the same message and it was she who finally returned the message 20 days after Rickie Lamb went missing. She discovered that he had been hit by a truck and died. She told WSB-TV: "They told me that they did the best that they can do. But I'm not sure about that. [Because] if they can track a criminal down, they couldn't track me down? They could have done better. I've been on my job 13 years. They could have found me."

Arthur ASCII
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Re: Police use Facebook to inform mother of her son's death

Post by Arthur ASCII » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:33 pm

I wonder how many "likes" the post got? :slroll:
UNISON - Fighting your corner. Join us HERE
ImageImageImageImage

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic