Is it time for the "Pickles ten minute law"??

OFF TOPIC is for any news story not directly linked to PCSO issues, off duty leisure pursuits. Sailing down the Thames. Playing computer games or basket weaving.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Is it time for the "Pickles ten minute law"??

Post by falkor » Tue May 14, 2013 6:49 pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/new ... ckets.html

So "Wardens" should stop giving motorists 'popping into shops' parking tickets!

Motorists who stop at local shops for ten minutes should no longer be issued with parking tickets!

Fine! but why wait until 2013 to announce this? What was wrong with 2012? Or 2011? What has been the delay?

We have had "Wardens," as Eric Pickles refers to them, since 1960, so why not bring this in in 1961? Why has it taken a massive FIFTY YEARS to come to this astonishingly "common sense" decision?

And how come no one else has reached this same conclusion? Fifty years? And no else has suggested that "Wardens" should stop giving motorists 'popping into shops' parking tickets?

No one else has considered that motorists who stop at local shops for ten minutes should no longer be issued with parking tickets? Why all of a sudden does Eric Pickles get divine inspiration now? Did it come to him in a dream? Maybe he had a "Hallelujah" moment in the bath!? A vision descended on him - he suddenly saw a new 10 minute grace regulation and yelled "EUREKA!" as he ran out into the street to tell anyone who cared to listen!

But why is it that only Eric Pickles can come out with this? And don't blame the so called "Wardens" - they simply do their job according to the policy that their supervisors expect them to follow.

Just tell the "Wardens" to stop giving motorists 'popping into shops' parking tickets! It would make their job a damn sight easier straight away.

SURE. Get the policy changed so that officially, motorists who stop at local shops for ten minutes no longer get issued with parking tickets! Would the "Wardens" burst out crying? Of course not, they would still get the same pay!

Personally I do think he has undercooked this. He said "We need to give people the good grace to pop into a local corner shop for 10 minutes, to buy a newspaper or a loaf of bread without risking a £70 fine." 10 minutes?

Well yeah if the car was parked right outside the shop you need (unlikely) and the shop had no other customers (unlikely). I think you are looking at 5 minutes to get from your car to the shop, then 5 minutes in the queue of other customers and YOUR TIME IS UP - no, I think 20 minutes would safeguard your average shopper looking for a newspaper or a loaf of bread and why limit it to a newspaper or a loaf of bread ?
Surely the time I parked up outside my local car spares shop and bought a new battery for my motorcycle would be covered? That was a close 12 minutes though so I really would be sweating. What do you think?

Is it time for the "Pickles ten minute law" and if so, why has it taken SO LONG for this to surface? And if so what are your thoughts on that "ten minutes"? Surely it should be finalised at the "Pickles Plus 20 minutes "good grace" LAW" just imagine it! You could forget parking up in those pricey car parks and buy your ciggies, Daily Mail and Quavers without thinking twice. It would probably save money all round as less "Wardens" would be needed, as less tickets would actually be issued! The man is a genius! It's so obvious now! Why could none of us see this before??

Arthur ASCII
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Re: Is it time for the "Pickles ten minute law"??

Post by Arthur ASCII » Tue May 14, 2013 7:37 pm

Pickles, like the rest of his Tory cronies is utterly bereft of ideas. Hence, he has to think-up the odd crowd pleaser using articles squeezed from old Daily Mails.

Is that a U-turn I hear?
UNISON - Fighting your corner. Join us HERE
ImageImageImageImage

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Re: Is it time for the "Pickles ten minute law"??

Post by falkor » Tue May 14, 2013 9:43 pm

no it's the sound of High Sts in all direction grinding to a halt under the sheer weight of cars just stopping at local shops "for ten minutes" for a loaf of bread and a newspaper :slwoot:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic