use of Facebook password by Police?

OFF TOPIC is for any news story not directly linked to PCSO issues, off duty leisure pursuits. Sailing down the Thames. Playing computer games or basket weaving.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

use of Facebook password by Police?

Post by falkor » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:32 pm

Rebecca Leighton is claiming aggravated damages from Greater Manchester police for breach of privacy and negligence
Josh Halliday 3 June 2013
A nurse cleared of poisoning hospital patients is suing the police for up to £100,000 after officers allegedly leaked her name to the media and made public her private Facebook account

In her claim filed at the high court, Leighton alleges that officers requested her Facebook password following her arrest "to minimise the potentially damaging intrusion into her private life and avoid prejudicing public opinion towards her".

However, she claims that an officer then reset her password before deactivating and reactivating her account – meaning previously private details, including wall posts and photographs, were visible to all internet users.

Leighton also alleges that police gave her name to journalists who then gleaned information from her online profile, reputedly including comments about how she liked to get drunk on days off. A number of media reports detailed her Facebook updates, with one Daily Mail article reporting that her profile was "littered" with comments that "tell of a frantic social life that helped her cope with the stress of work".

In an interview with ITV's This Morning in September 2011, Leighton accused the media of fuelling public hostility towards her, which she said resulted in a judge refusing her bail at Manchester crown court following the charges.

"Because of how the media have portrayed me to be … they could not be any more wrong, people have formed an opinion about me, so I believe [the bail refusal] was for that reason," she said