photographer is quizzed by police

PCSO stuff ONLY: Burning issues, high profile questions or cases that have been highlighted in national or local news, let's talk about them IN HERE! A link to the item would be great where possible.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

Gforceuk
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: photographer is quizzed by police

Post by Gforceuk » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:31 pm

Big Brother wrote:
mj12cz wrote:Answer this question everyone...

You are on patrol, you drive past an RAF base there is a man stood with a camera taking photograph of the military aircraft as they land and take off...

What would you do?

An RAF base is generally a prohibited place under the official secrets act, so taking photos of one is definitely an offence. They may not be a terrorist, but I'd be stopping the car and speaking to them

is it really?

Can you grab the legislation saying that an raf base is a prohibited place?

I used to regularly go to bases and take photo's .. used to live behind one many years ago.

And the legislation that says taking photos on an raf base or aircraft is an offence.
PC

mj12cz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by mj12cz » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:09 pm

Well just to let you know RAF Waddington that houses some serious aircraft has a viewing area where you can stand watch and take as many photos as you like. We have the same at RAF Cranwell.

I guess its always going to be a case of "Intent"
"Its a mother beautiful bridge and its going to be there"

Save the cheer leader, save the world.....

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

Gforceuk
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Gforceuk » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:24 pm

I had the most sureal moment at Waddington , whilst in the reserves.

We were doing weapons training near one of the main hangers and all of a sudden we couldnt hear a thing , 6 of us stood there with SA80's looking around. And in came to land a C5 galaxy , bloody huge.. and deafening. We just quit the training and stood a few hundred feet away and watched them unload some jeeps ect from the nose cone of the aircraft.

Perfect photo op for anyone within a few hundred yards of the security fence.. and no one got shot :slwoot:
PC

Big Brother
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Examiner: XIII

Post by Big Brother » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:06 am

Gforceuk wrote:
Big Brother wrote:

You are on patrol, you drive past an RAF base there is a man stood with a camera taking photograph of the military aircraft as they land and take off...

What would you do?

An RAF base is generally a prohibited place under the official secrets act, so taking photos of one is definitely an offence. They may not be a terrorist, but I'd be stopping the car and speaking to them

is it really?

Can you grab the legislation saying that an raf base is a prohibited place?

I used to regularly go to bases and take photo's .. used to live behind one many years ago.

And the legislation that says taking photos on an raf base or aircraft is an offence.

Generally the big red and white signs that are on the perimiters saying "taking photographs here is an offence under the official secrets act" are a bit of a giveaway. Wether every base has got them or if they're enforced is another matter. I can think of 2 bases where I work that have them.
Big brother is watching you.

Gforceuk
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Gforceuk » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:40 am

Not on any base I've been to. Just warnings in relation to entering the base . nothing more

I'll wait to see the legislation saying that they are prohibited places and no photos can be taken of them. I'd best shut my eyes when next on google earth.
PC

Big Brother
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by Big Brother » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:36 pm

Gforceuk wrote:Not on any base I've been to. Just warnings in relation to entering the base . nothing more

I'll wait to see the legislation saying that they are prohibited places and no photos can be taken of them. I'd best shut my eyes when next on google earth.

I'm just telling you what I've seen, I've no idea if it's current or not. Regardless, some airbases are set up for people to have a look at, hence viewing areas, others aren't.

Gforceuk
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Gforceuk » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:48 pm

Big Brother wrote:
Gforceuk wrote:Not on any base I've been to. Just warnings in relation to entering the base . nothing more

I'm just telling you what I've seen, I've no idea if it's current or not. Regardless, some airbases are set up for people to have a look at, hence viewing areas, others aren't.

Thats a bit different to your original post
An RAF base is generally a prohibited place under the official secrets act, so taking photos of one is definitely an offence.
PC

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Post by falkor » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:42 pm

Photographers not legally bound to provide details, police told
Wednesday 9th December 2009
Chris Cheesman
Police forces nationwide have been warned that photographers are not legally required to provide their personal details when stopped under anti-terrorism laws.

The reminder was contained in 'codes of practice' attached to a warning letter sent to Chief Constables by the Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO) last week.

An ACPO spokeswoman told Amateur Photographer (AP): 'The intention of the [ACPO] letter was to remind officers that there is no criminal offence in taking photographs.'

She added: 'There was an attachment to the letter, however, that detailed codes of practice, in which this was referred to.'

Though members of the public are not required to give an officer personal details during a 'stop and search' or 'stop and account', there are fears that refusal will heighten any suspicions an officer already has over a photographer.

The concern was highlighted yesterday when architectural photographer Grant Smith was stopped and searched in central London.

He refused to identify himself to police who then proceeded to search his bag.

Last week, in an interview with AP about stop and account, ACPO spokesman Craig Mackey, Chief Constable of Cumbria Police, said: 'A member of the public can say 'thank you officer, I've explained why I am here. I don't want to give any details."'

Big Brother
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by Big Brother » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:06 pm

Gforceuk wrote:

So sue me :slsa:

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Post by falkor » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:26 pm

BB why are you getting revved up by Gforce? :slwo:
Big Brother wrote:

What would you do?

who can argue against that?

BB is obviously right - just because of guidance you cannot ignore such a blatant case

Gforceuk
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Gforceuk » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:14 pm

falkor wrote:BB why are you getting revved up by Gforce? :slwo:
Big Brother wrote:

What would you do?

who can argue against that?

BB is obviously right - just because of guidance you cannot ignore such a blatant case

errr... what case?

I asked to see the legislation stating this and there is none posted , just a statement from bb.

I can post anything at all and doesnt mean its true or a stated case
PC

Big Brother
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by Big Brother » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:05 am

*sighs*

Section 1 of the Official Secrets Act 1911

(1) If any person for any purpose prejudicial to the safety or interests of the State—
(a)approaches, [F1 inspects, passes over] or is in the neighbourhood of, or enters any prohibited place within the meaning of this Act; or
(b)makes any sketch, plan, model, or note which is calculated to be or might be or is intended to be directly or indirectly useful to an enemy; or
(c)obtains, [F1 collects, records, or publishes,] or communicates to any other person [F1 any secret official code word, or pass word, or] any sketch, plan, model, article, or note, or other document or information which is calculated to be or might be or is intended to be directly or indirectly useful to an enemy;

Section 3 of Shedule 1 of the Official Secrets Act of 1920 which is a continuation and doesn't repeal the previous act defines a prohibited place as
Any work of defence, arsenal, naval or airforce establishment or station, factory, dockyard, mine, minefield, camp, ship, or aircraft belonging to or occupied by or on behalf of Her Majesty, or any telegraph, telephone, wireless or signal station, or office so belonging or occupied, and any place belonging to or occupied by or on behalf of Her Majesty and used for the purpose of building, repairing, making, or storing any munitions of war, or any sketches, plans, models, or documents relating thereto, or for the purpose of getting any metals, oil, or minerals of use in time of war

All of this is summed up on the sign with the words "This is a prohibited Place under the Official Secrets Act 1911-1939" There may also be local by-laws in place expressly forbidding photography

Now these signs line the perimiters of military installations. Just because a law against gathering information or being in the vicinity of said installation is rarely enforced doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

overthinker1977
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by overthinker1977 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:28 am

Does it matter? You'd go and have a chat with em anyway wouldn't ya?
Simply as. ha ha.... I love the 'debates' us lot have.
Supporter of Police
scum = criminals

Big Brother
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by Big Brother » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:54 am

overthinker1977 wrote: I love the 'debates' us lot have.

Seems like argument for the sake of it.

Hysteria
Elite Member
Elite Member
Class: 'Night Summoner'
Alignment: 'Vampire'

Post by Hysteria » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:51 pm

This is the reason why people are being stopped for taking photo's and filming in London .
http://itn.co.uk/
Very Well Done city of London police :D

A suspected al-Qaida-inspired cell has been caught red-handed filming potential terrorist targets.

Police say the Algerian gang may have been employed to prepare the ground for an atrocity in central London or at major regional shopping centres.

City of London Police have released chilling footage recorded on one man's mobile phone as he travelled around the capital.

It shows the man examining Oxford Circus, Mornington Crescent and Camden Town Tube stations.

Extensive footage was also recorded at Liverpool Street railway station and at the Broadgate Circle shopping and restaurant plaza.

Police inquiries later revealed the gang also visited shopping centres in Hatfield, Hertfordshire, Bluewater in Kent and Bridgend, south Wales.

Five men have been arrested in a series of raids in July last year after one man was caught filming and acting suspiciously at Liverpool Street.

The footage was released today in response to a surge of criticism of police for stopping and searching people taking photographs at tourist hotspots.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic