photographer is quizzed by police

PCSO stuff ONLY: Burning issues, high profile questions or cases that have been highlighted in national or local news, let's talk about them IN HERE! A link to the item would be great where possible.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

xbob89
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: photographer is quizzed by police

Post by xbob89 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:55 pm

"At the end of the day any law abiding citizen should be comfortable having a conversation with a pc/pcso about what they are taking pictures of, after all if they have nothing to hide, it's a couple of moments of their time at the most. "

Im not I agree with this point entirely. All too often the public are given the old" an innocent person has nothing to hide from these laws" or "if you're innocent then you have nothing to hide".

All too many PCs and PCSOs forget about the basics of policing in this country and that we police by consent.
As a free and law abiding citizen I have the right to go about my business without being stopped and questioned by anyone and if I were photographing in a public place and then stopped by a PC or PCSO I would probably respond to a polite query about what I was doing in a positive manner.
However, I would not being giving any personal details nor allow any over zealous PC or PCSO take my camera, delete pics etc.

I can catagorically state also that anyone quoting the law at me be it section 43, 44 or 444 of the enid blyton secret 7 club better be very sure of their facts. Get it wrong and I wouldnt stop chasing the complaint until the culprit was dismissed.
As a MOP I can see that generally the population of this country is getting fed with the nanny state and the fact that too many laws are being brought in under the guise "protecting us" where in fact are being misused...

You only have to look at the law preventing peaceful protest around Westminster....

Big Brother
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Examiner: XIII

Post by Big Brother » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:37 pm

Regardless of what people think about photographers (I am one) bear in mind that a would be terrorist is not going to be standing brazenly taking photos of CCTV cameras with an expensive DSLR. They're going to be using camera phones, point and shoots or google maps and they're going to be doing it discreetly.

Think about it.

Basically guys, if you think you have the right to ask a photographer for their details, you don't. The ONLY time you might have a leg to stand on is if a member of public has complained about it because they feel harassed e.t.c. or if you actually see someone trying to hide from you.
Big brother is watching you.

DOGMA
Executive Officer
Executive Officer
Class: 'Bounty Hunter'
Alignment: 'Shadow'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by DOGMA » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:31 am

Same old thing. your dammed if you do, dammed if you dont. Imagine if he had been a pedo or pervert, or worse a terrorist. Then it would have been '' I TOLD THE POLICE BUT THEY DID NOTHING AND IGNORED THE REPORT''.

xbob89
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by xbob89 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:59 pm

Big Brother, A PC or PCSO can ask me anything they like... I might not answer them though!

I agree with you, terrorists are unlikely to be advertising their business are they?!

Big Brother
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by Big Brother » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:23 pm

xbob89 wrote:Big Brother, A PC or PCSO can ask me anything they like... I might not answer them though!

I agree with you, terrorists are unlikely to be advertising their business are they?!

If you're in a park taking photos of kids and causing harassment, alarm or distress to members of public then we can at least get your details off you :slbell:

But yes, generally I steer well clear of photographers unless it is someone taking pictures of CCTV cameras, government buildings, military bases with a camera phone and trying to be discreet about it.....

xbob89
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by xbob89 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:34 am

"If you're in a park taking photos of kids and causing harassment, alarm or distress to members of public then we can at least get your details off you"

Like I said....ask away....but I aint gonna tell ya!

Islandbeat
Official Member
Official Member
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by Islandbeat » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:00 pm

Might not answer to me but if your taking photos of kids in a park causing distress where I work you'll be answering to somebody.
Pcso yesterday, today and hopefully tomorrow!

xbob89
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by xbob89 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:07 am

Lol....this is where the powers of the PCSO *and PC) are thankfully a bit thin...

Im taking innocent pictures of kids (including my own) in a playground on a Summers day...no offence committed as far as Im concerned.

Well meaning PCSO comes along and asks me what Im doing so I tell him "Im taking pictures of children enjoying themselves in the park officer"...

Well meaning PCSO "assumes" Im a perv so demands my name, address, inside leg measurements....
I politely decline the request as Ive already explained my actions.

So, what next? Well meaning PCSO going to call the police? Why? What are they going to do that you havent already done?
Im NOT, repeat NOT breaking the law.

Ok, so well meaning PCSO advises me that I will have to answer to the police and requests I remain with him....err, I politely decline as I have to attend evensong....I hop into my car with my camera and kids and drive away...
Car index number taken and I get a visit from the police? Err, Im not answering anymore questions constable.....

Like I said, what are you going to do about it?

Err....I suggest note in a note book, a moment of private fury but all in all nothing else.....lol

ScaredMETpcso
Banned Member
Sacred: 'Dragoon'

Post by ScaredMETpcso » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:48 am

^^^ Police officers on my team and neighbouring team would arrest you and invesitgate the matter further I.e. What you say in an interview and most likely search your house for any incriminating evidence.... You or a MOP would probably throw a tantrum and get mad swearing etc etc so they would throw a section 5 in as well.. Yes it will 100% get NFA'd (unless you really are a perv and are known for it) but so what? The copper gets their body for the month.

I'm afraid that's how it works on my borough. Wether you think it's right or wrong.

xbob89
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by xbob89 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:15 am

Lol...are you cyber stalking me ScaredMET?

You really are talking out of your backside on this one.

What are the PCs going to arrest me for? Err, on the grounds that a PCSO has a ""hunch"" that I might be up to no good?
I might have been out for a little while but I dont recall reading that a person can be arrested unless there is reasonable belief that an offence is being committed?

Err, what happened to evidence?

So, imagine this....try hard now....

YOU are the arresting PC....what are you arresting me for? Err, coz Im taking pictures of children (including my own) in a public place on a warm sunny afternoon?
Hmm....what offence? err, you gonna make it up as you go along?
So, having nicked me you take me back to the custody suite and present me to "Sarg".... well? come on then...tell Sarg what offence has been committed...

Oh of course, you're relying on your Section 5 of the POA....Yeah....I called you a few choice words and put up a bit of a fight....BUT, if the arrest was unlawful in the first place then I have a right to resist it so err... Sarg says "ScaredMET, you are a t*t....oh, Mr Xbob our apologies...

"Yes it will 100% get NFA'd (unless you really are a perv and are known for it) but so what? The copper gets their body for the month."

And Im afraid YOU are going to lose your job and possibly be on the other side of a common assault charge at the very least......

Fool.

ScaredMETpcso
Banned Member
Sacred: 'Dragoon'

Post by ScaredMETpcso » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:30 am

Stalking you? You can't seem to stop mentioning my user name in every other post you make even when i haven't posted in them.

You are right, since your day, things have changed. Section 5 is always the way - seen it so many times :-)

remember I am a 'pcso' just relaying what I have seen coppers do that still have a job as a copper after doing such things I.e. Not ex bobbys lol.

xbob89
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by xbob89 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:48 am

Ah yes.... but you cant throw a public order offence at someone "if all else fails" that much hasnt changed.

If a cop tries to arrest me unlawfully then I have a lawful reason to resist and no offence is committed by doing so. Check it out!!
Sure, you might have seen PCs getting away with it, but its just that, getting away with it.
Some PCs get away with bullying people to get away with behaving badly. They (and some PCSOs no doubt) rely on Joe public being "blinded by science" and generally bamboozled by the law. Many MOP assume that police know the law where infact in many cases nothing could be further from the truth.
We often read of solicitors as being "Mr loop hole" but actually they have simply bothered to read the legislation.
Its too easy to frighten a MOP who has never been inside a police station to agree to things even if they are totally innocent.

Like I said in a previous post, I have nothing to prove so am not interested in a silly willy waving competition.
You know everything far better than me.....lol

Big Brother
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by Big Brother » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:07 am

It might be worth pointing out that recent case law for Section 5 has expanded it's scope above and beyond using just words or writing to cause harassment alarm and distress.

It now covers words, writing AND/OR behaviour that is likely to cause H.A.D or a disturbance, examples that have sucessfully been prosecuted by the police in court include tipping peoples' bins over and throwing eggs at houses during halloween.

In fact we've just done 3 youths for throwing a large number of eggs (40) at a person's house in the early hours of the morning. One of the youths who had simply been present with the gang, and hadn't thrown any eggs retained his right for legal representation. The solicitor agreed that his actions had been sufficient to cause alarm and distress and she advised him to accept the penalty notice as he wouldn't stand a chance in court, even though he was just part of the group she agreed that because he knew what was going on, and because he knew the group's actions would cause harassment, alarm or distress he was just as guilty.

So I'd argue if you're a photographer taking photos of other people's children without permission and you refuse to stop your actions could be considered to be causing harassment, alarm or distress to those people, based on the recent case law. At the very least I'd tell you to stop doing so.
If you informed me that your own kids are in the park then fair enough, you've got ample reason to be there and I'll stop bothering you.

Big-Si
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Big-Si » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:47 pm

ScaredMETpcso wrote:^^^ Police officers on my team and neighbouring team would arrest you and invesitgate the matter further I.e. What you say in an interview and most likely search your house for any incriminating evidence.... You or a MOP would probably throw a tantrum and get mad swearing etc etc so they would throw a section 5 in as well.. Yes it will 100% get NFA'd (unless you really are a perv and are known for it) but so what? The copper gets their body for the month.

I'm afraid that's how it works on my borough. Wether you think it's right or wrong.

What would you be arrested for? And this (as a photographer) is just downright damming evidence that some officers are clueless when it comes to photography. I as a human being on the provision have the right to take pictures in a public place and there is nothing the Police can do to stop me. You do not have the right to ask for my details, to see my equipment or images I have taken let alone delete them.

It's well worth having a read here http://photographernotaterrorist.org/
Ex PCSO

xbob89
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by xbob89 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:38 pm

"So I'd argue if you're a photographer taking photos of other people's children without permission and you refuse to stop your actions could be considered to be causing harassment, alarm or distress to those people, based on the recent case law. At the very least I'd tell you to stop doing so.
If you informed me that your own kids are in the park then fair enough, you've got ample reason to be there and I'll stop bothering you."

Ah but now the story is changing....
We werent talking about a specific complaint about me taking pictures.
This is simply about me taking pictures in a park of children enjoying themselves and a PCSO asking me what Im doing and demanding my details.

Im committing no offence so am not obliged to even speak to you let alone furnish you with my details etc..

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic